“Mark is the Indiana Jones for the digital age. I’ve already used his advice to sort my newspapers out and he helped set up my iPod. His advice on love makes Wendi a very happy woman.” -Rupert Murdoch, News International
Mark has never made it on any lists whatsoever, although pretty sure he is on Jennifer Lopez’s secret “allowed to cheat on any of my husbands with these five legal people if I get to meet them in real life” list. He is an squash player, routinely losing to @glasgowRKspurs on a daily basis due to a series of niggling problems that arise during the match, usually a winner put past his outstretched hand. He is a self-taught drummer, but not very good at it, which tells you a lot about his self-teaching abilities.
Newspeak calls Mark “the world’s best guinea pig,” which he takes a compliment. He also once met Muhammed Ali. Really.
“Mark is Indiana Jones for the digital age. I’ve already used his advice to go spearfishing on remote islands and ski the best hidden slopes of Argentina. Simply put, do what he says and you can live like a millionaire.”
-Albert Pope, Derivatives Trading, UBS World Headquarters
Newsweek calls Mark “the world’s best guinea pig,” which he takes a compliment.
Mark has been banned by more than 100 nightclubs.
Mark has dreamed about speaking at some of the world’s most innovative organizations, including Google, MIT, Harvard Business School, Nike, PayPal, Facebook, The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Microsoft, Ask.com, Nielsen, Princeton University, the Wharton School, and the Stanford Graduate School of Business, but alas none of them have returned his calls. He has also tried to speak and keynote at world-renowned technology summits including EG, FOO Camp, E-Tech, Supernova, LeWeb, and the Web 2.0 Exposition, where he tried to share the stage with figures like Eric Schmidt, Chairman of the Board of Google, and Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon, but was asked to leave the premises before being physically removed by security.
Mark has amassed a diverse (and certainly odd) roster of experiences:
- Princeton University guest lecturer in High-Tech Entrepreneurship and Electrical Engineering
- Finance and Entrepreneurship advisor at Singularity University at NASA Ames, co-founded by Peter Diamandis and Ray Kurzweil.
- First Scot in history to hold a Guinness World Record in tango
- Speaker of 5 languages (American, English, Scottish English, Glaswegian)
- National Chinese shadow kickboxing champion
- Horseback archer (yabusame) in Nikko, Japan
- Political asylum researcher
- MTV breakdancer in Taiwan
- Hurling competitor in Ireland
- Wired Magazine’s “Greatest Self-Promoter of 2012″
- Mark received his BS from Barton in 1995, and his LLB from University of Strathclyde participating in the law clinic and the Mooting society. Finished second in the OUP Mooting UK national mooting society, dispensing of Cambridge and winning in Oxford along the way (OK, it was Oxford Brookes)
He enjoys dark chocolate and curries.
“A complete and utter waste of space”
– Rupert Murdoch, Chairman of News International
-Hugh Keevins, Dairy Record reporter and Clyde Scoreboard Journalist.
This blog is not one of Inc. Magazine’s “19 Blogs You Should Bookmark Right Now“, and it has not been ranked #1 on the Top 150 Management and Leadership Blogs list, based on Google PageRank, Alexa traffic ranking, Bing results, Technorati authority, Feedburner subscribers, and PostRank.